2023-08-06: Hayfield Hill

Hayfield Hill, Schenectady County highpoint. Elevation 1456'. Solo bushwhack ascent via Hayes residence; 0.39 mi, 09m RT. NY county highpoints 17/62.

With the end of the summer and the return to college looming in the very near future I've been stepping up my local highpointing game. Schenectady County, its highpoint within twenty minutes of church, has long been on my list, but one major caveat has always kept me from it: Private ownership.

The highest point, to the east of Herrick Road in the town of Duanesburg, is owned by the Hawes family, who live just a few hundred feet from the highpoint. The Hawes by all accounts are very kind and have always allowed highpointers to visit, but the idea of driving up to a random person's house, knocking on their door, and asking to wander around their backyard with a camera didn't quite appeal to me. Still, highpoints are worth almost any price to me, so I headed out after church today to do just that.

The Hawes residence is some distance off the road, a great big yellow house with a pool and a shed in back. I knocked on the door and was greeted by some very excited dogs, followed by Mrs. Hawes. She was very kind and we talked a bit, giving me information on where to hike. She said that I was one of the few locals she's met; highpointers have visited her from as far away as Oregon. (We are a dedicated bunch I suppose.) She told me that the highpoint was fourteen feet higher than her driveway, in the woods beyond a hayfield behind her house. She warned me about high tick activity this season and told me to enjoy my visit.

A sign on her garage bore the name "Hayfield Hill" which I think would make an appropriate name for the formally nameless highpoint.

Crossing the hayfield along flat ground near the summit.

I crossed the field fairly quickly and found myself in forest that looked very flat. A few knobs existed at the bottom of trees and I chose my highpoint near a young hemlock tree about fifty yards from the treeline. The forest here was fairly open and looked typical of the area, although the largely built-up Schenectady County isn't typically known for its forests and fields. I also found an old 4x4 trail that cut across the highpoint and appeared to disappear at the treeline.

Young hemlock and beech trees characterized the forest at the highpoint.

Hayfield Hill, elevation 1456'. The camera here is actually balanced on a hemlock tree that appeared to be on the highest point.

I left via the 4x4 trail and headed back through the field, which was full of blooming purple knapweed. Many hayfields are covered in wildflowers especially late in the year; this one didn't seem to be active as it should have been cut weeks ago. I waved a thank you to Mrs. Hawes on the way out, then stopped at the end of her driveway for a lovely view to the north. The north end of Herrick Road, being the highest road in the area, has some incredible views towards the Adirondack foothills.

Looking across the hayfield on the hike back out.

One of countless black knapweed (Centauria nigra) blooming among the hay.

Looking north down Herrick Road towards the hills of Saratoga County.

I moseyed home without a map or directions, taking a number of beautiful backroads through Schenectady and Albany counties, areas I haven't explored much, and got lost (on purpose) a few times. Much thanks to Mrs. Hawes for allowing me and other highpointers access to the highpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment