2019-10-10: Mount Nebo

Last April, I unsuccessfully attempted to climb Mount Nebo, a peak which features prominently in many of my pictures from Durham. Mount Nebo isn't really a proper mountain, but a subsidiary peak of the larger Mount Hayden. It has an elevation of 2680 ft and a prominence of less than 60 ft, and sits along the border between Durham and Windham. Although the NY-NJ Long Path runs below the mountain, it never comes close to the summit, so the mountain requires a bushwhack.

In April, I was turned back by ice and mud after getting over two-thirds of the way to the summit. Since then I did a very short bushwhack to the top of South Mountain, so I figured I'd give Nebo another go in drier weather. The easiest way to bushwhack Nebo is to take the Long Path to the top of Mount Hayden, then hike the ridge down to the summit. However, I decided to make things a little more challenging, and took the shorter route up the steep northeast fast of the mountain, breaking from the path early.

Due to the high risk of falling, I didn't bring my camera with me on this hike. All images were taken with my phone, so there are no higher-quality versions. For a more detailed description of the hike, check out my trip report.

Sunlight shines through a yellow beech forest along the Long Path.
Beech forests dominate Nebo's lower slopes, and had a very monochrome yellow hue.
Two ridges form Nebo's northeast slope; this view is taken from the top of the first.
This pile of rocks, with an iron pole in its center, marked the otherwise unnoticeable summit.
Evening sunlight lit the rare grassy hickory forest at the summit.
Mount Nebo was logged heavily during the 1800s; this old oak tree may be all that remains of the summit's original forest.
View from atop the second ridge, just below the summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment