04-07-2019: Mine Kill Falls

As the weather became warmer in early April, I decided to make an attempt at hiking Leonard Mountain in Gilboa NY, home to a fire tower that overlooks much of Greene, Albany, Schoharie, and Delaware Counties. On my way, I stopped at the Mine Kill Falls, the highest waterfall in Schoharie County. My car ended up breaking down before I could climb Leonard Mountain, but this breakdown forced me to walk several miles of roadway in search of cell service. Despite my failure to access the mountain, the day's excursions were still fruitful, as the images below may convey.

Mine Kill Falls seen from the upper lookout. Note the chunks of ice still clinging to its edges.
A different shot from the upper lookout, showing the lower falls, the ice, and the pool into which they drain.
Looking west from the upper lookout, where the Mine Kill flows under NY-30 above the falls.
Hemlock forest lines the half-mile trail to the lower falls.
View of the falls' outlet from the banks of the meltwater-swollen Mine Kill.
Full view of the lower falls from a rocky island in the Mine Kill.
Spruce plantation in Leonard Hill State Forest, near the Leonard Mountain trailhead.
View of the Catskill Escarpment from where my car broke down in Broome.
A small waterfall along an unnamed creek in Broome.
Yellow flowers in spring's first bloom lined the roads as I searched for cell service.
View of Mount Hayden and Mount Pisgah (obscured by trees) along CR-61 in Broome.

Vertical view of another waterfall just over the county line in Rensselaerville.
Windham High Peak peers over a ridge along CR-362 in Rensselaerville.
Steenburg Mountain is at the left in this view south from CR-362. It was around here that I finally found cell service. 
A caterpillar on a wall, captured later that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment