01-02-2019 - Clay Hill Road

Last Wednesday I walked Clay Hill Road, a short road about 1.5 mi in length located between Oak Hill and West Durham, resuming my task of walking every road in the town of  Durham. This road connects NY-81 with NY-145, and is known for its low shoulders, massive hills, and very twisty turns, with accidents fairly common along its unguarded length. I took care with this hike, always staying alert and wearing a high-visibility vest. Weather was fairly cold, in the upper 20s, but conditions were clear, and a pair of gloves and a sweatshirt were sufficient protection from the elements.

The area I parked was near the Brandow Memorial Park, a small park in Oak Hill near the road's end used for a number of activities during the warmer months. From here I walked southward down the road, up its steep incline, rising from the forested low end to the most pastoral southern portion.


Field looking east.

Uncultivated field, again looking east. The curve is natural, not a camera artifact.
Juniper trees line an ATV path through an abandoned field.
I made good time reaching the far end of the road, where it met with NY-145, and headed back towards the parking spot. The view behind me, towards the southwest, at sunset was spectacular, with clear shots of the northern Catskills in the sun's light.
Like a diamond the last bit of sunlight peeks over Mount Hayden. To its right and left are mounts Ginseng and Pisgah, respectively.
Mount Pisgah watches over open hayfields under a spectacular sky.

View of Windham, Zoar, and Ginseng in the dying light of evening.
From the mountain view, I continued down the road, stopping again at some more easterly-facing open fields.
The wavy terrain of the fields here looked quite interesting.

Here you can see the harvested hay lined up against the edge of the field.
Upon returning to the parking area I found a public access point to the Catskill Creek, which parallels the bottom portion of the road on its way through the Squirmer Valley. I stopped here to look at the waters, which were unusually high and rapid due to heavy precipitation over the past few days.

Looking upstream, towards the bridge on CR-22.

Looking downstream, near the remnants of some destroyed concrete structure.

Looking straight ahead. Note how black the waters appear.
I've already completed the next two walks, and I hope to complete several more this week, which I look forward to including here.

No comments:

Post a Comment