2023-08-20: Timms Hill

 









Timms Hill, elevation 1951'. Wisconsin highpoint, U.S. state highpoints 28/50. Solo ascent via Timms Hill Trail. 0.82 mi, 149', 19m RT.

It was Day Three of my great midwest roadtrip and I had almost actually reached the midwest. The previous night I had slept at the summit of Mount Arvon, the highest point in Michigan, and now I was targeting my next state highpoint.

An interesting thing to note about this area is that there's really nothing there. Between the Upper Peninsula and northeast Wisconsin, there are a lot of hills and forests that remind me of home, but with a stark paucity of small towns and houses. This was unfortunate for me, as I was hoping to stop somewhere for breakfast, or, later, lunch. The only major town I passed through on the was was Tomahawk WI, but Google Maps 'wisely' took me around the town to avoid low speed limits and, in the process, food.

A great wooden welcome sign at the state line.

As a result, by the time I reached the trailhead for Timms Hill at around lunchtime, I was hungry, tired, and mildly dissociative. However, I didn't plan to let this ruin the highpoint, and did what I could to will myself back into the moment for the time being.

This peak is located in Timms Hill County Park, which is serviced by a one-way road that leads to a trailhead with a pavilion and a playground. The surrounding area is covered in standard mixed forest, much like those that cover a vast swath of the northeastern United States from Minnesota to Maine. While this whole area of Wisconsin is relatively flat, there are a number of small rolling hills across the landscape, more easily visible through the woods.

Timms Hill, with the firetower visible, over Bass Lake from the south.

The hiking trail up Timms Hill.

The trail that leads to the summit, just one of several trail systems in the park, is wide and straightforward, an easy hike for non-hikers. It does get a little steep approaching the summit, but levels out pretty quickly. The summit is marked by two towers, one an old firetower that's been locked off, the other a newly-built wooden observation deck. As always, there's also a summit register and a survey marker at the foot of the observation deck. I took my requisite summit pictures and celebrations here before climbing up to see the views.

USGS survey marker embedded in concrete below the observation deck.

Looking up at the old fire tower. I don't think you're supposed to climb it but I've heard of highpointers scrambling up to the bottom of the ladder (~20' off the ground).

I had the top of the observation deck to myself only briefly, but I made use of the time, taking a number of pictures and enjoying the view. Timms Hill doesn't have a huge amount of prominence, although it is notably higher than any of the surrounding hills, and the surrounding area doesn't have a huge amount of variety. There were hilly forests and hilly fields and that was about it. It was still lovely, especially in the clear, humid late morning, and I definitely appreciated the existence of the tower.

View of the hilly yet flat landscape with a cell tower in the distance.

Forests meet fields in hills to the west of the summit.

After a minute or two, a sizable group of people, all probably in their 50s, arrived and swarmed the tower. They seemed quite jovial, and were very nice, telling stories about past memories. They seemed like they were coming from some sort of meeting or get-together. I left the tower shortly afterwards, ever eager to continue my trip.

However, I took a detour on the way back to the car. As I reached the base of Timms Hill, I noticed water through the forest to the north. A different trail led this direction, so I followed it to the shores of Timms Lake, a secluded-seeming pond that was half open water and half swamp. This spot was very peaceful and quiet, and I stopped here for several minutes, taking pictures and relaxing before I returned to the car.

Timms Lake from near the trail at its south shore.

It was a short walk from the lake to the car, where I quickly continued my journey westward. The next highpoint I planned to reach was Iowa's Hawkeye Point, but on the way I would need to drive through Minnesota. Minnesota, like Michigan, was another state that I had never visited before, so naturally I planned a short stop on the way to remember it by. Studies of the state before I left had revealed several possible locations based on timing, and a quick look at projected travel times today led me to quickly settle on John Latsch State Park.

Located on the banks of the Mississippi River, John Latsch State Park consists of hiking trails that rapidly ascend nearly 500' over the course of a quarter mile to the top of Charity Bluff, one of a series of impressive bluffs overlooking the wide river. When I arrived in the afternoon, there was nobody else there except one woman who quickly ran up the bluffs and disappeared. I had the place to myself otherwise.

Steep wooden steps ascending Charity Bluff.

The trail to the top of the bluff, somewhat to my surprise, was comprised of wooden steps. While this made ascent less tricky than a traditional backcountry hike, it made the descent notably more difficult, as snowballing seemed a lot easier on the steep eroded stairs. However, I made good time on both sides of the climb, soon reaching the top with its spectacular views. US-61 dominated the landscape on the MN side of the river, winding along the bank beneath towering white bluffs, while swamps and low hills covered the WI side. A lock in the river was also visible just downstream of the bluff.

Looking northwest (upstream) below low branches. US-61 is the highway running along the river.

The view southeast (downstream) along the more prominent bluffs and cliffs. Note the lock across the river.

Swamps, fields, and plateau-like hills across the river in Wisconsin.

After an annoying descent, I made it back to the car and pushed on towards my final goal of the day: Hawkeye Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment