02-05-2019: Gulf School House Rd

As weather, vehicle, and technical problems have prevented me from getting out this week (despite superb walking weather), I have gotten behind on my updates on here, including two backlogged posts. My apologies for the inconsistency, although at this point it shouldn't be too much of a surprise unfortunately.

Last week's incredibly warm weather actually got even better on Tuesday, with sunny skies and temperatures breaking 60 F. I took the opportunity to walk Gulf School House Road, part of which I had walked back in December. This was one of only four remaining roads south of NY-145 that I had yet to walk. I parked near the intersection with Hulls Corners Road and hiked uphill, towards the south.

View of Acra Point, Burnt Knob, Windham High Peak, and Kate Hill from near the parking spot.
Mount Zoar is the ridge to the right. Kate Hill (in front of Windham) seemed very prominent in this light.
View of Ginseng and the eastern half of Hayden. I like the tree in the middle of the field.
Travelling up the road aways I came upon a place called the Old Field Farm. Some Googling indicates this location is a combination farm and art place run out of what is undeniable a beautiful part of Cornwallville. Some pigs there snorted at and ran after me while I walked past, but they were penned up so there was no cause for concern. I borrowed some of their views for a moment to take some pictures before heading on my way.

Windham and Zoar from the Old Field Farm.
A shot of Windham between two trees from the farm.
Past the Old Field Farm was an expanse of pretty much nothing. Some deep woods and a few empty houses were pretty much all that sat between the artists' farm and the road's southern terminus far up the mountain slopes.

This posted sign looked quite nice in the oblique evening light.

Blinding light from the sun as it sets over Mount Hayden.
This unnamed stream cuts a deep valley through the bare maple forest.
Passing onwards I arrived at the end of the road, where Gulf School House meets up with Sutton Road (which I walked last summer) way up on the slopes of Mount Ginseng. The intersection is right near the Good Tidings Bible Conference, which sits empty in the winter, and right before Sutton Road degrades to dirt.

View of Mounts Hayden and Nebo. The sunset sort of ruined the contrast on this one unfortunately, it looked far more beautiful in person.
Looking back towards the field from the end of Gulf School House.
Heading back down the road, I passed where the road crossed over the overflowing Sutton Creek. Beyond this things were quiet and empty the rest of the way downhill; I don't think I saw a single car on the return trip.
Ice had prevented runoff from penetrating the ground, so instead it ran overtop the snow.
View of the muddied Sutton Creek, filled with runoff from the melting snow.
Looking east down the road at sunset.
The rest of the field where that POSTED sign was.
Returning to the car I took in the views from the Old Field Farm, and below, once more. I knew it was the last time for quite a while I would be able to enjoy temperatures and weather as lovely as that.
Evening's last light on Windham High Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment